Did you know?
- A good lawn can add as much as 15% to the value of a house.
- A good, fine textured lawn. has at least 10,000 shoots and over 5,000,000km of roots per square metre.
- Roots make up 90% of the weight of grass plants in the lawn.
- Turfgrass acts as a natural filter by reducing pollution by purifying the water as it passes through the root zone.
- 250m² of lawn can absorb CO² from the atmosphere and release enough oxygen for a family of four.
- Turf is four times more effective than a hay field in controlling erosion.
- Sediment losses from turfed areas are 10 times less than from straw covered areas.
- Runoff from Turfed areas will take at least 28 times longer than the most popular erosion control materials.
- Turfgrass traps and removes dust and dirt from the air.
- On a hot day, a grass lawn will be at least 15°C cooler than asphalt and 8°C cooler than bare soil.
- The lawn is also effective in reducing noise. In laboratory studies, turfgrass proved to be more sound absorbent than a heavy carpet or felt pad.
- An average size lawn of a house has the cooling effect of about 9 tonnes of air conditioning.
Source: ©The State of Queensland, Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation, 2011